History

Daylesford Secondary College is the sole provider of secondary education in the Shire of Hepburn. The College has been functioning since 1961 on the present Smith Street site but was originally established in November 1890 as the town’s School of Mines in the main street. The school currently has around 500 students in attendance.

The school draws students from a wide region. Daylesford is between Ballarat and Bendigo and is one hundred kilometres from Melbourne. Sixty-five percent of students travel to school by eleven buses from a radius of up to 35 kilometres.

The College is very proud of its VCE results –many of our Year 12 students gain places in tertiary institutions. The school also celebrates the success of those students who have chosen to undertake further training or successfully gained employment upon completing school. One of the school’s current priorities is to develop managed individual pathways for each senior student to assist them in planning for their future education and employment.

Our other priority is to smooth the transition for junior students from primary to secondary school. This is being addressed in numerous ways including secondary and primary teachers developing closer working relationships, monitoring students’ levels of connectedness to school and to their teachers and identifying students with special needs, for example literacy difficulties.

Top of Page